20 Jul 2015
Meeting On Formulation Of Multi-sectoral Research And Technology Demonstration Project On The Utilization Of Ground Water
A meeting was held at CSIR- NEIST, Jorhat, Assam on 20th July, 2015. The main agenda of the meeting was to discuss on the work various individuals and departments are doing or planning to do in the area of water quality and also to formulate a plan for the future. Participants came from NEIST; Jorhat Medical College (JMC); PHED, Jorhat; Memebers of Village Panchayats, and Community Workers.
The recommendations made in the meeting were:
- Developing communication material and enhanced IEC activities involving school students.
- Areas other than those under any schemes also need to be surveyed for surface water resources and Rain Water Harvesting (RWH). Unused RHW tanks (of schools) can be used for community purposes.
- Collection of different background information for field testing of efficacy of national technologies for Fluoride and Arsenic removal. Find out advantages and disadvantages of various technologies available at family and village level.
- Awareness meeting at user level-village community need to be conducted.
- Sharing individual works over email. An email group will be activated.
- Need to work on the conflict between different researches and data and arrive towards a consensus
- Study of Arsenic affected areas around Titabor involving medical practitioners
- A collaborative proposal needs to be developed for a pilot research project on Fluoride and Arsenic mitigation
To form a network around Jorhat involving (1) NEIST(2) AAU (3) JMCH (4) Kaziranga University (5) NGOs (6) PHED (7) AAU and (8) Affected Communities